HEALTH OF ELDERLY PEOPLE IN AUTUMN
Autumn has already come, and the cold is just around the corner, which in our climate occupies quite a long part of the year. The so-called “golden autumn” passes quickly, and the rest of the time is dominated by mud, cold and slush. The sharp drop in temperature and frequent changes in barometric pressure may themselves cause serious deterioration of health, especially this appeals to elderly people with chronic diseases.
First of all, these factors affect the condition of elderly people with diseases of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, disorders of musculoskeletal system and psycho-emotional disorders. The sharp fall of temperature causes a spasm of blood vessels, which can lead to a hypertensive crisis or angina attack. Atmospheric pressure drop causes hypoxia – low oxygen content in the body. This in its turn leads to a lack of it in the heart muscle and brain. People can feel heartaches and headaches, and in people who are prone to emotional instability, their psychological condition is deteriorating, and sometimes they face a real depression.
Elderly people who have diseases of the musculoskeletal system (osteoarthrosis, rheumatism), there are aching pain in the affected joints in places of old fractures or wounds, and even absolutely healthy people during this period often feel uncomfortable.
The cold leads to a reduction of immune system capacities: dramatically increases the number of acute respiratory diseases, chronic illnesses are aggravated.
Following our recommendations below will add some bright colors to your autumn:
• If during this period of the year you experience the exacerbation of chronic disease, you should consult your doctor and try to follow all his prescriptions and recommendations. Do not self-medicate.
• If your health and mood are heavily dependent on the weather, take care of yourself. Dress warmly in cold.
• Include in your diet herbal teas, which may include some brier, eat more vegetables and fruits, add some vitamin complexes with microelements.
• If the state of your health allows this, move more regardless of the weather – it enhances the metabolic processes in the body and normalizes blood circulation.
• Wear low-heeled shoes with non-slip soles. Remember that the fall is the main cause of serious injuries and death among the elderly.
• If you have a reduced visual acuity, try not to leave the house in the dark period of the day, to avoid injury.
• And most importantly – create for yourself and your family a good mood, it is a universal remedy against different diseases. Friendly and smooth attitude towards others, optimism and humor – all this contributes to a long and healthy life.
It is well known that negative emotions: resentment, fear, sadness, anger, grief, envy, hatred – are risk factors, approaching old age and shortening life, and vice versa, positive emotions – delight, joy – cause extraordinary rise of vital forces of an organism. Laughter is a sign of joy, cheerful mood and mental health. It favorably affects the lungs and regulates the metabolism.
Practice care and attention towards each other. Try especially after retirement, to organize the rhythm of life. Alternate feasible work with a reasonably organized rest.
• Much attention should be paid to sleep. Sleep is a vital human need. The duration of sleep should be such that after waking up a person should note good spirits and a burst of energy. A healthy and sound sleep requires a right regime of life: go to bed at the same time, dine without overeating not later than 2-3 hours before bedtime. Take a thirty minutes walk before the bedtime and do not watch too emotional television broadcasts, neither take tonic beverages such as strong tea or coffee before the bedtime.
Autumn of life is called the elderly age, and it is a very difficult season. But this time of life has its joy and delight. A person in this age moves into a new quality, he or she becomes a grandparent. And life begins to play with new colors, new, previously unknown feelings and joys, new worries and concerns, life takes on new meaning.