Sleep is one of the most important factors not only for seniors, but also for younger people. It is very important for normal physical and mental functioning of an organism. Lack of sleep brings fatigue and a bunch of different health problems. For seniors it is very important to sleep on average 7.5 hours per night, but many of elderly people suffer from insomnia.
There are several things that can improve the quality and the ability of sleep that is vital for seniors.
1. Sun Yourself. Excessive sunshine increases the risk of skin cancer development, but sunbathing in moderation can bring only positive effect. Sunlight helps the body to produce vitamin D. This vitamin is known for keeping the bones strong.
2. Create an environment that ideal for healthy sleeping. Keep the room cool and dark. The bedroom should be used only for sleeping; it should be associated with rest.
3. Control senior’s napping time. It should interfere with the sleeping at night. All naps should take place early in the afternoon, not in the evening. At the same time naps should be short, not more than 40-45 minutes.
4. Do not drink a lot of liquids before going to bed. Seniors go to the restroom at night more often than younger people. You can control this process by limiting the intake of liquids.
5. Do not consume caffeine in the second part of the day. The same should be said about alcohol, no alcohol before going to bed.
6. Bedtime routine as in the childhood. It is very important for seniors to have a routine before going to bed. Half an hour is enough to prepare your mind and body.
Day View Adult Family Home provides qualified and affordable services for seniors. Our trained crew understands the importance of a good night’s sleep and we work to create positive sleeping environment for seniors. Our residents receive the rest they need.