Healthy eating is important for everybody, but especially for kids and seniors. Every elderly person has different nutritional issues and needs, but there is a list of the products that are considered to be the best healthy food for elderly people. If you like products from our list consult your doctor and talk to him about the possibility of changing the diet.
Products that improve brain functioning and memory:
- Salmon: Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that are good not only for your brain, but also for your heart.
- Canola oil: Cook using canola oil and increase your daily intake of omega-3.
- Avocado: avocado contains a lot of healthy fatty acids that are good for your memory.
- Eggs: Choline that is found in eggs, is a type of Vitamin B and it is perfect for increasing you memory.
- Almonds: Almonds do not only give you energy, but they also contain choline useful for the brain.
Products for your bone health:
- Fortified milk: Only milk that is fortified with Vitamin D should be used by elderly people.
- Cottage cheese: Doctors say that cottage cheese contains 156 – 318 mg of calcium.
- Kale: Kale doesn’t only contain calcium that is good for your bones, but it is also rich in Vitamin K.
- Collards: Experiments show that just half of a cup of collards contains 20% of your recommended daily value of calcium.
Foods for better digestion:
- Beets: Nutritionists agree that red beets help constipation symptoms.
- Cod liver oil: This oil is rich in Vitamin D and Vitamin A that are good for the digestive tract.
- Prunes: they are rich in fiber, which helps to digest.
- Turnips: Turnips is another source of good dietary fiber.
Foods for the better eyesight:
- Lutein: All foods that contain lutein are good for your eyesight; this is kale, spinach, etc.
- Garlic: Garlic is a great source of sulfur that helps in production of glutathione, antioxidant for your eyes.
- Onions: Onions are also rich in glutathione.
- Fish Oil: Fish oil helps to preserve your precious eyesight. It can be found in flax seed, walnuts, salmon, mackerel, etc.